When you learn that you have pests, it might trouble you. It can be very hard to deal with and it may get worse. Fortunately, the information in this article is just what you need to crush those pests once and for all. Keep reading and learn how to eradicate household pests.
How To Keep Pests Away
- All food should be carefully stored away in sealed containers when not in use. A lot of species of pests are drawn to the smell of food, so control food scents. Don’t let trash sit for long periods in the kitchen. Take it outside promptly. Garbage is something that bugs love to get into.
- Close all open holes in your home, as bed bugs are sneaky little creatures that are hard to kill. Make sure to seal any holes or cracks found before you carry out your extermination plans. This way, the bed bugs have no place to hide.
- Fix any leaky faucets and pipes. Water attracts pests. Even from a distance, these pests can tell there is water pooling in your home. You should not be the cause of your pest problem. Keep your home in good order to eliminate conditions that attract pests.
- Vacuum every day to help prevent fleas, as they are notoriously hard to rid your home of. After vacuuming spray the area with a good flea spray. When you have finished vacuuming, put your vacuum cleaner bag inside a plastic bag, seal it, and put it in the hot sun. After it’s been in the sun for a day, throw it away.
- Check your whole home occasionally, even if the areas of your home that you usually live in show no signs of problems. Termites may rear their ugly heads in the underground areas of your home. Have someone inspect any basements or crawl spaces in your home.
- When trees fall down in your yard, get rid of them. Chop up the branches and trunk for firewood. You can sell it, use it or even just give it to people. Don’t let the stump rot in your yard, though. Stumps are no longer alive and therefore can draw termites.
- Invest in a natural repellent to prevent mice and pests. Mice will come into your trailer if you leave it in storage during the fall or winter. Many natural repellents work to keep pests away and can keep mice from entering your camper. Some of these repellents have a nice smell and are not poisonous at all.
Are Pesticides Harmful?
Some household pesticides have actually been banned, because of the chemicals they contain which were proven to be harmful to the environment and your health. So it's important that you find out what pest treatments are allowed in your area. If you unknowingly use a pesticide that contains banned chemicals, there could be consequences later if you try to sell your house. While this is pretty rare in occurrence, it does give you the motivation to research what pest control methods are approved and successful in your community.
Keeping Your Home Pest-Free
You are well-equipped now to take on your pest problem. Use the information you have garnered here to effectively rid your home of unwanted pests. You will soon be able to live in your home in comfort and not worry about the pests. If you want to learn more helpful tips to keep pests away from your home or to schedule an appointment, reach out to Oxley Pest Control, Inc. today.